Let’s face it, we’re all tired of this horrific winter weather. Between the power outages in Texas, record snow in the Northeast, we are over it. If it were up to us, we’d be lounging poolside somewhere tropical with a piña colada in hand. But until then, all we can do is daydream while we shovel our driveways. UGH.
But seriously, we’ve been musing about the summer months. One of our favorite summer treats are açai bowls (pronounced ah-sigh-ee). These deliciously sweet, cold and refreshing fruit blends are the perfect snack after a trip to the beach. Not to mention, they are PACKED with nutritional value.
Here are some fast facts about the popular superfruit!
- These small but mighty berries from South America are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants have the ability to aid in the prevention of conditions like diabetes, cancer, and heart disease!
- These berries are keto-friendly! You heard it here folks, açai berries have an impressive nutritional profile as they are high in fat and low in sugar.
- Studies done on animals have shown that they have cholesterol-lowering abilities, making this a heart-healthy option for people!
- Açai berries can boost cognitive functions! They are rich in anthocyanins, a type of antixidant that have a link to improved memory, and lower risk of diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s .
Have we sold you yet? Here is our take on the classic smoothie bowl.
Not only is this sweet treat delicious and healthy, but it is so beautiful. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings once you’ve crafted your açai base! This recipe serves two, so feel free to enjoy with a friend or save it for a rainy day because these are sunshine in bowl form!
What you will need
- Frozen fruit! You will need one frozen banana (sliced), 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1/2 cup of strawberries or, use 1 cup of your favorite frozen berry blend!
- 3/4 cup of milk. We prefer to opt for a nondairy option like coconut or almond milk, we feel it helps with the ~tropical~ vibe of this dish.
- 2 packets of frozen açai, like this one by Sambazon. These packets can be found at almost any grocery store nowadays, and are probably the next door neighbor of your frozen fruit!
What you’ll need to do
- Grab your blender and add in your ingredients. We usually start with the liquids, and work our way up to the açai packets. To make for an easier blend, we recomend breaking them apart into smaller pieces.
- Blend it all up! We prefer our açai bowls on the thicker side. If you find that your blend is too thick (to the point it’t not blending), add water or more milk. If it’s too watery, add some more fruit, or even 1/2 a cup of plain yogurt should do the trick.
- When blended to perfection, pour into two bowls. Now it’s time to top.
Top it all off
This is the true test of creativity. Here are some of our favorite ways to top our açai bowls!
- Fresh fruit– we love to slice up some fresh strawberries, bananas and blueberries. For a tropical spin, try mangoes and pineapple slices!
- Seeds- chia seeds are a great way to add even more nutritional value to this dish. Known for their sustainability, this will help keep you full for hours!
- Granola– this is a great way to add some crunch to the bowl. Other crunchy alternatives we love are coconut chips and cacao nibs.
- Honey- need we say more? This is just an additional touch of sweetness.
- Nut butters– we’re all about the gains, so we love to top with a spoonful of nut butter for some added protein. Our favorites are almond butter, peanut butter, cookie butter or even a drizzle of nutella.
2 Delicious And Light Salmon Recipes Perfect For Summer!
There’s something about a warm spring day that just makes us crave a light and summery dinner. One of our favorites recently has been salmon. Salmon isn’t just delicious, but also packed with some amazingly nutritious benefits! It’s rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, loaded with vitamins, potassium, and incorporating it into your diet can help reduce the risk of heart disease and aid in weight control. No wonder it’s considered a superfood!
Here are two delicious, light and healthy recipes that will have you in a summer state of mind!
Island Salsa Salmon
Trader Joe’s has been one of our favorite places to shop these days, which is how we discovered this tropical twist on salmon! The best part is that it is so easy to make, and requires minimal effort! We love to serve this with a side salad and brown rice. Because, well, healthy and easy! Have we piqued your interest yet?
Here’s what you’ll need
- Trader Joe’s Atlantic Salmon (we like the BBQ cut, because it’s pre-sliced and portioned!)
- Trader Joe’s Island Salsa
Here’s what you’ll need to do
- Start by preheating your oven 425 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with nonstick spray.
- Next, season your salmon filets with salt and pepper.
- Top each filet with salsa, as desired.
- Bake in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes, and voila!
Buffalo Style Salmon
Maybe it’s just us, but lately, we’ve been on one heck of a spicy kick! That’s why this buffalo-style baked salmon has been one of our go-to’s! It’s not too hot but still has the perfect zing. We love to serve this alongside a Trader Joe’s Buffalo Ranch Chopped Salad (yes, we’re that obsessed!), and even some green beans like pictured above.
Here’s what you’ll need
- 4 salmon filets
- 2 tbsp of your favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 cup of Panko
- 3 tbsp of butter, divided
- Salt and pepper
Here’s what you’ll need to do
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Season salmon filets with salt and pepper, and place with the skin facing down on a lined and coated baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix panko with 1 tbsp of melted butter.
- In a different bowl, mix together hot sauce, and the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Brush this mixture across the top of each filet.
- Top each filet evenly with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with ranch or blue cheese, or top with blue cheese crumbles. Enjoy!
We hope you try out these recipes and enjoy them as much as we do! Bon Apetit!
Must-Try Delicious Healthy Snacks
Spring has finally sprung, which means that summer is right around the corner. If you’re anything like us, you’re *trying* to swap an evening glass (or bottle) of wine for a tall glass of water, or a bowl of popcorn for a piece of fruit. Trust us, we know that this can be such a struggle. Luckily, we’ve searched high and low for healthy snacks that actually satisfy our cravings, and are sharing with you some of our favorites. Unbutton those jeans and get comfortable because it’s about to get snacky!
Let’s get started!
Siete Grain Free Cinnamon Crisps
Anyone love churros as much as we do? Seriously, there’s nothing more satisfying than the crunchy, sweet, greasy goodness of a churro. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but churros may not be the best option if you’re trying to feel confident for #bikiniszn. That’s why we love Siete’s Grain-Free Cinnamon Crisps! The best part is that they are made with avocado oil, and they are gluten-free! Our favorite part, (besides the fact that they are so delicious) is that the ingredient list is so simple, and you don’t feel gross after eating them. Beware, these are so good, you might wanna eat the whole bag!
We all have a friend named Chester that is near and dear to our hearts. That Chester is, in fact, Chester the Cheeto. While we do love to hang with Chester every so often, we’ve been looking for a healthier alternative to spend time with for some time now. Luckily, we stumbled upon Hippeas organic chickpea puffs. They are a dairy-free spin on the classic cheese puff, and, they are dairy free. They come in a variety of fun flavors like barbeque and sriracha, and are quite addicting.
We’re just gonna come clean about this right now. We cannot go one night without having a crippling sweet tooth. But, it’s no secret that most candies are high-calorie and loaded with sugar. No thank you! We have been absolutely obsessed with Smart Sweets, and here’s why you’ll love them too! Smart Sweets are free from artificial sweeteners and added sugars. They are also filled with plant-based fiber, non-GMO, and allergen-free. Now, you may be wondering how legit these may taste. We can honestly say that we think that these are better than “real” candy. Try for yourself and let us know!
We think you’ll agree with us on this one. Ice cream is a rite of passage for “that time of the month.” Sometimes, we just need to devour a pint of ice cream on our own. While that is a delicious endeavor, it’s not exactly a low-calorie one. Not to mention, it’s a sugar overload. Over the last few years, we’ve been making the swap to Halo Top, because it’s a much lighter option. The whole pint is between 240-360 calories, and they even have a keto-friendly, low-carb line. How could we ask for more?!
What’s your favorite healthy snack?
St. Patrick’s Day Appetizers
Feelin lucky? St. Patrick’s Day is just a few short days away and to be quite honest, we couldn’t be more excited! The festive t-shirts and shamrock headbands, the famous NYC parade, the green river in Chicago, the drinks, the traditional cuisine…what isn’t there to look forward to?
Though many of us will be celebrating from home due to COVID-19, we will still be making the most of this year’s celebration! We’ve already shared some funky green cocktails (if you missed it, click here!) so now it’s time to showcase some of our most-loved appetizers!
Let’s get started!
Irish Potato Bites
Remember learning about the Irish Potato Famine in history class? Us either! To jog your memory, the Irish Potato Famine occurred in 1845 and was caused by a disease, or blight, that spread throughout the potato crops, which destroyed one-half to three-quarters of all potato crops. This lead to mass starvation and about one million deaths. Centuries later, the potato has remained a staple in the Irish diet, and this dish celebrates and commemorates those lost in the Famine. It’s also so darn delicious.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 2 dozen red baby potatoes
- 3/4 cup bacon, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/8 tbsp sea salt
- Optional: sour cream and chopped green onion for garnish
What You Will Need To Do
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook potatoes until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Once the potatoes have cooked and are cooled off, cut in half. Then cut off a slice from the rounds on each side so they can rest flat on your surface.
- Scoop out the insides of each potato, and place the guttings in a separate bowl
- Add the bacon, cheddar, and butter to the bowl, and salt the mixture and potatoes as desired. Mix well.
- Scoop the mixture into each potato half, and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes and serve.
Okay but seriously, the party doesn’t start until there’s chips and dip on a platter. This reuben dip is perfectly savory for St. Patrick’s Day and is sure to be a hit for your celebration!
Here’s What You Will Need
- 1/4 lb of onion cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup of lite mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup of lite thousand island dressing
- 1/3 lb of deli corned beef, chopped
- 1 cup of sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp of chopped chives
- Pumpernickle bread, sliced for serving
What You Will Need To Do
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and coat a baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the onion cream cheese, mayo, and thousand island dressing.
- Drain and rinse the sauerkraut, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and corned beef to the mixture, and mix well by hand.
- Pour into a baking dish and spread evenly. Top with more cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and garnish with chives. Serve with sliced pumpernickel bread, chips or crackers.
What’s your favorite St. Paddy’s Day appetizer?